According to a recent study completed by the Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org), 63% of Americans own at least one pet and the majority of these pets are not protected from toxic chemicals. The study also notes that American pets test positive for higher levels of pollutants from synthetic industrial chemicals than humans do, proof positive that pets are more impacted by the use of harsh chemicals in the home than even we are. EWG’s study points to an increase in the number of pets that die each year because of exposure to harmful chemicals.
I was recently contacted by a company called Clean+Green, a company that is trying to reduce the number of chemical based products we use in our homes
Clean+Green (www.odorandstainremover.com) wants to reduce the number of deaths that involve our animal friends. Clean+Green are the only eco-friendly aerosol pet cleaning products on the planet. These products are easy to use and deliver fast, working results. Clean+Green permanently cleans pet stains and eliminates odors and is the only one of its kind that does not require multiple applications. Most importantly, Clean+Green products are safe for pets, people and the planet.
Clean+Green can be used on almost any surface in your household – on carpet and area rugs, wood floors, tile, cement and more. All you need is the Clean+Green product that fits your needs as each one is formulated individually to address specific stain and odor problems – however – ALL products are non-toxic, non-flammable, non-carcinogenic and will not damage the ozone layer, with no CFCs and no VOCs. The products are packaged in a 100% recyclable container.
I plan on trying the products out and writing a review for all you pet lovers out there. Stay tuned!
If you are interested in trying the products for yourself they are offering two great discounts for This-Green Life readers:
Print $5 coupon, good where Clean+Green products are sold (List of Retailers).
For online orders click here and get $2 off any order plus free shipping on orders over $25.
Tags: all-natural cleaning · animal safety · Eco-Friendly
My Border Terrier, Quincy, is the best running partner I have ever had. He’s always eager to go and gets super excited when I get out his leash, he shows up on time, and never complains - The most enthusiast workout partner I’ve ever had. I found a great article in Runner’s World by Renee Despres about training with your dog.
Here are some of their tips:
1. A great running dog depends on three things: genetic temperament, socialization and training.
2. Although breed has something to do with determining a dog’s ability as a runner, doesn’t use it as her first criteria. Generally, dogs that have been bred to work will be better runners.
3. The article suggests running “hands-free” if your dog knows how to run “at heel” on a loose leash. Clip the loop of the leash to a belt or fanny pack, or loop it around your body, leaving enough slack that the dog can run next to you without putting tension on the leash. The leash should fall across your leg, above the knee, and not impede your stride.
4. It’s not wise to start training with a puppy until it is fully grown. The age of the dog depends on the breed. Bigger dogs mature more slowly, some not until 10 to 14 months. While you can start working many smaller dogs at six months, they suggest not starting with a large-breed dog until a year. Bones and cartilage are not mature until then.
5. If you do run with an older dog, remember that dogs are just as susceptible to the aches and pains of aging as human runners. Arthritis is common among older dogs. Exercise is good for a dog with arthritis, but not to the point of pain.
6. Start slowly, even with a young adult dog. Especially if you’ll be running on asphalt. A gradual increase in miles will toughen up your dog’s pads and make him or her less susceptible to injury. Sore pads are usually the biggest indicator that a dog has done too much too fast. Tenderness, raw spots and bleeding are reasons for your canine pal to take a few days off.
7. Monitor your dog for overheating. Dogs do not sweat; they cool themselves by panting. Warning signs that your dog might be in trouble include slowing down, an extremely lolling tongue, possible foaming at the mouth and glazed eyes. The dog may become weak and wobbly or even collapse.
Tags: running · Dog Walking · exercise · dog
I recently received some great new products from Goochii Poochii and boy do they smell amazing! The “Lave” is their all-natural shampoo for dogs. It is full of great ingredients like aloe, Hawaiian algae, white willow bark and vitamin B12, and it’s made right here in the USA - Yeah!
In addition to the shampoo I received the “detangle.” It is used much like a conditioner. You apply it to your pup after shampooing and rinse it off immediately after. I think I will pass the detangler on to my mom. Her pup, Oscar, is a yorky and could use a little more help in the conditioning department than my short haired pup.
The company was formed in 2008 and have been testing their shampoo and conditioner slowly in markets across the country and have received wonderful feedback. Veterinarians, Groomers and Breeders have reported that the condition/detangler acts as an effective tick and flea repellant (non-toxic) as well as healing skin allergies and hot spots. DOGS LOVE IT! Their coats are clean, lustrous, shiny, fragrant and safe.
The goochiipoochii shampoo and conditioner get a thumbs up from me.
You can purchase the products here.
What pet shampoo do you use? Does it work as a flea repellent? Anyone try Goochii Poochii yet?
Tags: flea treatment · pet-friendly · all-natural cleaning · pet product news · Eco-Friendly · product reviews
I’m always preaching about reusable shopping bags - my made of honor even mentioned it in her wedding speech. Some people think I’m a little crazy, but it makes me feel good knowing that my friends and family know where I stand and it may actually remind people to be a little more conscious of their everyday choices.
My feelings were confirmed when one of my friends G-chatted me this morning asking me if I knew any local, Michigan based businesses that made reusable, promotional, shopping bags. And of course I knew right where to send him, to Green Bagz! Green and local, it’s a good thing.
Here is the Green Bagz Philosophy:
Switching to green products is necessary in slowing the effects of global warming in order to ensure a lasting planet for generations to come. Go green products such as reusable bags are an inexpensive and efficient way to reduce your businesses’ carbon footprint while simultaneously promoting your company. Their site offers a wide variety of reusable bags each available to be imprinted with your businesses’ custom logo for truly unique and effective going green products.
The amount of plastic bags accumulated throughout a single American’s lifespan is staggering. Only about 1% of the disposable bags are recycled, while most end up in landfills. Their green products offer an easy and inexpensive solution to the problem of landfills chock full of plastic bags that refuse to decompose. Their go green products such as reusable bags are good for any occasion that would normally require a disposable bag that would likely spend eternity in a landfill without decomposing.
Each reusable bag will cut down the number of disposable bags consumed by drastic numbers while offering a stylish way to advertise your business. Sell or distribute going green products to advertise your company as part of the solution rather than the problem. The durable green bags are durable and come in a variety of vivid colors. Simply send in your company logo or any other design of your choosing and let us create a custom computer bag, diaper bag, tote bag, grocery bag, or any other type bag that your company can be proud of.
For those interested in products to help your business go green, reusable bags are a great stepping stone in being a part of the green initiative. The stylish bags are high quality, appealing to the eye, and will do wonders in fighting global warming. Advertise your business on their green products which are guaranteed to send a positive message to customers and communities alike. Take the first step in using go green products whenever necessary in order to prolong the vitality of the planet and set a positive example within the community. With a myriad of go green products available, Greenbagz.com is your one stop shop for reusable advertising with going green products.
So if your a business owner, or you know one, let them know about Green Bagz and spread the word about reusable shopping bags. Check out all the cool options they carry. Some of them look like they would be perfect for an overnight pet bag.
Tags: Living Green · carbon footprint · plastic bags · Eco-Friendly · product reviews · Environment
This posting is from Crafting A Green World, an awesome website that features do-it-yourself projects that incorporate reused, recycled, and natural materials. Find knitting, sewing, crocheting, and other project ideas for eco-friendly and fashionable clothes, crafts, gifts and more.
If you’ve ever flipped on the TV during a bout of insomnia, I’m sure you’ve seen the late-night ads for the Topsy Turvy tomato planter. For folks trying to garden with limited space, this is a great option! One gardenista I know even says that growing tomatoes and other viney plants upside down makes them grow larger and helps keep garden pests away! You’re not limited to tomatoes with this project, either. Squash, zucchini, green pepper, and strawberries are just a few other plants that you can grow with this method. Sure, you could make two easy payments of $19.95 and order the pre-made version, but that’s hardly in the green crafty spirit! It’s easy and cheap to make your very own, and you can keep some trash out of the bin while you’re at it. Check out this awesome video on how to turn a used plastic cat litter container into your very own upside down planter.
Watch the video here.
There were a few things in this video that I wasn’t a big fan of. First off, there’s no need to buy a new paper coffee filter, when a small piece of newspaper or even one of those junk mail flyers on newsprint will do! I also noticed that he dumped the bleach water right onto the ground, which doesn’t seem like the best thing to do. Pour that bleachy water down the drain instead!He also recommends using Miracle Gro, which is hardly a green choice. Conventional fertilizers are full of synthetic, often petroleum-based ingredients. Why not skip the pricey potting soil, and nourish your tomato plant with some compost from your worm bin?
*Another great thing about these hanging planters - you don’t have to worry about ground hogs, other rodents, or in my case, rambunctious pups, getting into your garden.
Has anyone tried to make this or something similar?
Tags: Living Green · natural food · local food · Eco-Friendly · plants
Now that the new pup has grown up and no longer needs his crate, it was time to get him his very own doggie bed. Sams Club carries a line of pet beds from World Wise called PoochPlanet. The bed I bought is called the PetPillow.
The PoochPlanet beds are filled with EcoRest recycled fiber bled. Each pillow uses the equivalent of over 27 recycled 1-liter soda bottles and contains reclaimed white cedar as a natural odor and flea repellant. The cover can be taken off and machine washed separately in cold water.
Americans consume more than 70 million plastic bottles of water a day. Using bottles that would have otherwise ended up in landfills to make super comfy pet beds is a very good thing.
I bought my PetPillow at Sams Club for only $20 - can’t beat that!
Tags: pet product news · recyle · pet care · Eco-Friendly · product reviews · dog
It’s no secret that Michigan’s economy is hurting. we have the big 3, and when they suffer, so do all Michiganders. While our national government is passing out money to boost the green industry, local Michigan government is hosting alternative energy round tables and energy conservation meetings. Creating new GREEN jobs in Michigan and making our existing companies lean and green may be the only way to get the Great Lake State out of this slump.
iphone 5 case, group for a renewable, energy-efficient nation, has posted Top 40 Ways for business to go green:
- Recycling Program - All applicable waste is recycled to minimize landfill impact.
- Business is a Michigan Green member. (or join a green business organization in your state)
- Smoking is prohibited inside the business.
- The business uses recycled printer cartridges.
- The business observes Earth Day.
- The business participates in the Michigan Green “Purge the Plastic” campaign.
- The business raises one hundred dollars for The Michigan Green Scholarship Awards at the Go Green Olympics.
- Energy and water use is reviewed at least once a year.
- Business participates in community program(s) that promote global stewardship.
- Green practices are discussed at employee/staff meetings and documented.
- Carbon Monoxide and/or Carbon Dioxide are monitored.
- Business refrains from using deodorizers to mask smells.
- Exit signs are LED or Energy Star qualified.
- Energy efficient lighting is installed (Energy Star minimum).
- Air conditioners are Energy Star qualified.
- HVAC controls like boiler reset, CO2 sensors, time clocks, etc. are utilized.
- Lighting controls, such as occupancy sensors, time clocks or photocells are used.
- Business has a white or green roof to save energy and reduce urban heat island effect.
- Office equipment is Energy Star qualified (computers, copiers, printers, etc.).
- Business has an on-site renewable energy power source.
- Pipes are insulated to improve energy efficiency.
- Recycled paper products are used for administration and marketing materials.
- Business is asbestos free.
- Air conditioners do not use any CFC refrigerants.
- Fluorescent lights are recycled.
- Low flow faucets (1.5 gallons/minute maximum) are used in kitchens and restrooms.
- Waterless urinals are used in restrooms.
- Business specifies that sidewalks be swept, not hosed.
- Property is landscaped with native plants and trees.
- The business has adopted an endangered species animal from one of several organizations that offer adoption.
- The business has a composting project with daily scraps from the cafeteria.
- The business has a birdhouse habitat project.
- The business has a native Michigan plant garden project with native plants.
- Businesses conduct energy audits of their facilities and make improvements such as placing film on windows, caulking windows,using kits to make windows more energy efficient, putting up turn it off signs under light switches, de-lamping, etc.
- The business recycles batteries and has designated a representative to take them to an appropriate county recycling program.
- The business holds an employee poster contest to support ecology concerns and a business display in conjunction with Earth Day Activities (April 22, 2009).
- The business implements a tree planting program with at least ten seedlings which can be acquired free from a number of organizations including Michigan United Conservation Club. The trees are placed at north and west building exposures to help conserve energy.
- The business has established a recycling program for CDs and DVD’s. It is estimated 10 billion of these will go into landfills over the next five years.
- A discussion on invasive species in the Midwest is presented. Solutions that ordinary citizens can participate in are implemented.
- The business keeps an active bulletin board or display case on the environmental news and what environmental activities the business is working on with pictures.
Feel free to add to the list…
Tags: recycle at work · Living Green · Eco-Friendly · Environment
Greening your garden is good for you, the environment and our pets. Using harsh chemicals in and around your yard can pose a danger to children and your pets. Always check the label before using a new lawn or garden product.
Here are some more GREEN garden tips*:
1. Use natural insect repellents instead of chemical pesticides. Boric acid has proven to be an effective organic pesticide (use caution around kids and pets, however), while planting garlic chives around your garden will help keep aphids away.
2. Create rich soil by composting your organic waste, which reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
3. Consider allowing a portion of your yard to return to its native state. When landscaping, try to integrate native wild flowers, shrubs, and grasses into your yard. They’ll require less watering and attract birds and insects.
4. Consider mowing your yard with an old-fashioned push mower, instead of a gas mower. Today’s reel mowers are lightweight, easy to handle, and produce no pollutants or greenhouse gas emissions.
5. Go organic in your garden. Demand is high for organic foods. Save money by growing your own!
* Green Gardening tips from the Green America Today organization. For more information visit sportsbet.com.au.
Tags: composting bin · animal safety · local food
(This is what I use on my pup - we like the cherry scent)
earthbath® shampoos, spritzes and shampoo bars were created with the health of your beloved, furry friend and our fragile environment in mind. We worked with groomers, veterinarians and expert blenders to develop and manufacture the highest quality line of all-natural, bio-degradable pet care products. Each was specially formulated to cleanse safely and gently while leaving your pet’s coat bright, shiny and smelling better than ever before. People tested and pet approved, earthbath® is the natural choice for quality pet care.
The comprehensive line of pet care products offers solutions for the unique needs of your pet, such as: everyday cleansing and coat conditioning; relief from itching or hot spots; combating pests; skin sensitivity or allergy; odor relief; and more. earthbath® products are formulated with natural oils and essences which are simultaneously efficacious and heavenly scented! Per doctors’ orders, all of their products are soap-free and pH-balanced for pet’s sensitive skin. They believe that the only ingredients that touch your pet’s coat and skin should be non-toxic, totally natural, and as gentle as possible. Naturally then… all earthbath® pet care products are 100% bio-degradable, free of phosphates and enzymes, and are animal cruelty-free.
Size: 16 fluid oz.
Purchase online from Petco here.
Organimals Dog Shampoo, Aubrey Organics
Organimals Shampoo for Dogs is a superb, all-natural shampoo that helps keep fleas and other pests away and leaves your dogs coat soft and clean.
This amazing shampoo for dogs contains a natural coconut oil-corn oil soap base that cleanses gently, without irritating a dogs sensitive skin.
Organimals Shampoo for Dogs features:
Pennyroyal - Helps keep fleas and other pests away.
Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap - Gently cleanses without overdrying.
Camomile, Balm Mint and Almond Oil - Keeps dogs coat soft and great-smelling.
100% Natural Ingredients.
No synthetic additives. No petrochemicals.
No animal testing. Biodegradable. Recyclable Containers.
Aubrey Organics uses only the finest herbal, plant extracts and natural vitamins in all of their products.
Size: 8 fluid oz.
Purchase online here.
Live Bubble + Squeak Organic Dog Shampoo
Lavish your dog’s skin with organic oils and pure botanicals to moisturize and deodorize even the smelliest, dirtiest pooch. Regular use with Bubble and Squeak® organic dog shampoo will keep your dog’s coat shiny, healthy, and squeaky clean! Contains nothing yucky–no parabens, no sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, and no phthalates. Guaranteed gentle on dogs and the Earth.
Peppermint and Rosemary to deodorize
Lavender as a natural anti-inflammatory
Hemp oil for a healthy, shiny coat
Calendula for its soothing and healing properties
No artificial dyes
Sulfate, detergent, and fragrance-free
Paraben and Pthalate FREE
Made in USA
HDPE #2 bottle is fully recyclable
Size: 12 fluid oz.
Purchase online here.
This doggie shampoo is stuffed with botanicals and vitamins that just might make your rescue dog into a show pooch. With lemon fruit, aloe, apple, nettle, algae, mapleweed, and more, you’ll probably start wondering if you can use it, too.
According to Goochii Poochii’s site, after distributing their product to breeders, veterinarians, and groomers, they found out that their products naturally repel fleas and ticks while also healing skin allergies and hot spots. Sounds like a perfect combination.
Hop on the grooming train with this fantastic solution for your pets: Goochii Poochi shampoo doesn’t just contain special ingredients, but also commits to keeping the planet green.
Size: Not listed
Purchase online here.
What pet shampoo do you use?
Tags: pet product news · Living Green · all-natural cleaning · pet care · cleaning · product reviews · Pets · Eco-Friendly · dogs
The North Shore Animal League America and FIDO Friendly Magazine have joined forces for “Get Your Licks on Route 66,” a national pet adoption tour that will travel the entire length of Route 66, from California to Illinois.
The Animal League’s 36-foot mobile adoption unit will travel across nine states, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Michigan, to partner with local shelters to raise national awareness of the plight of homeless pets, and promote and increase pet adoptions. The Tour will also raise funds for shelter partners so they can save even more lives.
This life-saving tour kicks off on June 6 in Los Angeles, CA, and will culminate with a final wrap party and adoption event in Grand Rapids, MI in early July. Learn how to sign up and get involved in this awesome event here.
The “Get Your Licks on Route 66″ tour’s presenting sponsors are Purina and the One Hope Network, with supporting sponsors, BISSELL(R), Animal Radio, Toyota(R), 3M Company, and La Quinta Inns and Suites. The Animal League, the world’s largest rescue and adoption organization, which finds homes for approximately 20,000 orphaned animals annually, and the sponsors share a goal to help transform the lives of pets by finding loving homes through increased adoptions with the participating shelters and rescue groups.
To learn more about the “Get Your Licks on Route 66″ Adoption Tour, check for updates, and track the tour route, visit www.GetYourLicks.org.
The North Shore Animal League America, headquartered in Port Washington, NY, is the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization. The Animal League reaches across the country to rescue, nurture and adopt approximately 20,000 pets annually into happy and loving homes every year and has has saved close to 1 million dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. Learn more at www.AnimalLeague.org.
FIDO Friendly is the Travel & Lifestyle magazine for you and your dog. Now in it’s 9th year, each bi-monthly issue includes hotel, city and state reviews along with editorial on health and wellness and fashion trends for Fido. Learn more at .
Developed in conjunction with Purina ONE(R), the One Hope Network is dedicated to transforming the lives of pets and people by supporting the efforts of animal welfare organizations across the country, increasing pet adoptions, volunteerism, and donations and by elevating the status of all pets. For more information, visit www.onehope.org.
Tags: save a pet · pet needs home · animal welfare